16 Sept 2010

The Castle

During this summer holiday, Angelina has read literally hundreds of books.

One day, I was astonished to see her reading The Castle by Franz Kafka. Of course, she was still working on chapter 1, Arrival, then. Thanks to training in phonics, she pronounced most words correctly and understood K. was trying to get a room at an inn.

After talking for a while, I realized that Angelina expected K. to rescue a princess in the castle or do something similar. She found the book too long and urged me to tell her the ending. “You have to find the answer yourself,” I said. But the book was nothing like that and would probably soon spoil her fun.

On second thoughts, I could modify the story a bit. Angelina would feel the conversations similar to those in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment