21 Jun 2012

Time

If I am a caveman or a hunter-gatherer, I would prefer immediate gain. Even if you promise to crown me king a month later, I cannot tell if I would still survive by then. With the strong force of evolution, no wonder it is so difficult for us to accept delayed gratification.

Steve Jobs asked us to consider, “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?”

To be sure, this is a good way to distill earthly thoughts and focus on important matters. However, while the important should stay important regardless of the context, the reverse is not true. For one thing, if I am to die tomorrow, who cares about the retirement fund? On the other hand, a person retiring at the age of 60 can hardly say that.

Therefore, it really worries me that I laughed out loud at my MPF report.

No comments:

Post a Comment